Join Friends of the Library
Friends of Lake City Public Library support the library with:
- Volunteer services
- Public relations
- Fund raising
- And tender loving care
Some of the activities the Friends have organized:
- The "Wee Read" program which provides each newborn at Stewart Memorial Community Hospital with a hand-sewn book bag, board book and information for parents on the importance of reading to children with the financial help of the Capri Theatre and Thrivent Financial for Lutherans.
- Thursday morning coffees.
- Two Christmas activities for children.
- Purchased supplies for crewel embroidery and origami youth programs.
- Purchased supplies for the Children's Summer Reading Programs.
- Purchased supplies for the "Christmas in July" adult craft program.
- "Lunch at the Library" during Nation Library Week in April.
- After-school Valentine event for children.
- Brought songwriter James Hersch and his guitar to town to help school children create "Lake City Songs" to celebrate the towns sesquicentennial in 2006
The Board of Directors, consisting of nine members, meets regularly to direct the work of the Friends organization.
Friends Board Members are:
- Marilyn Willis, President
- Annette Wedemeyer, Vice President
- Dian Richardson, Secretary
- Dawn Dean, Treasurer
- Norma DeVries, Library Director
- LaDonna Temple, Library Trustees Representative
- Jan Dougherty
- Mary Nelson
- Faith Blaskovich
- Marci Duncan
- Sylvia Streufert
Fund raising activities:
Evening in the Park is the Friends much-anticipated annual fundraiser. Held each summer in the City Square, it includes a meal of burgers, beans, chips and pop, accompanied by musical entertainment and activities for the kids.
Other funding comes from an ongoing used book sale; the sale of canvas book bags; and yearly membership dues.
Join the Friends:
Membership runs from January to December each year. Levels of membership are
- Individual: $1.00
- Family: $5.00
- Sponsor: $10.00
- Contributing: $20.00
- Sustaining: $50.00