Join Friends of the Library
Friends of Lake City Public Library support the library with:
- Volunteer services
- Public relations
- Fund raising
- And tender loving care
Some of the activities the Friends have organized:
- The "Wee Read" program which provides each newborn at Stewart Memorial Community Hospital with a hand-sewn book bag, board book and information for parents on the importance of reading to children with the financial help of the Capri Theatre and Thrivent Financial for Lutherans.
- Thursday morning coffees.
- Purchased supplies for the Children's Summer Reading Programs.
- "Art in the Library" featuring a different local artist's work quarterly.
- Various adult programs.
- Salad luncheons at the library.
- Matched Libri grants to buy children's books for the library.
- All-Star Reading program.
- Brought songwriter James Hersch and his guitar to town to help school children create "Lake City Songs" to celebrate the towns sesquicentennial in 2006
The Board of Directors, consisting of nine members, meets regularly to direct the work of the Friends organization.
Friends Board Members are:
- Marilyn Willis, President
- Linda Norgrant, Vice President
- Jan Dougherty, Secretary
- Jan McClue, Treasurer
- Michele Deluhery, Library Director
- Jim Luhring, Library Trustees Representative
- Mary Gutshall
- Jenny Sporleder
- Rita Frank
- Carol Dickkut
- Sheri Hanks
Fund raising activities:
Salad luncheons are the Friends much-anticipated fundraisers. Held each spring and fall at the library, they include a salad bar with muffins, rolls and a drink.
Other funding comes from an ongoing used book sale; the sale of canvas book bags and t-shirts; and yearly membership dues.
Join the Friends:
Membership runs from January to December each year. Levels of membership are
- Individual: $2.00
- Family: $5.00
- Sponsor: $10.00
- Contributing: $20.00
- Sustaining: $50.00
Membership/donation forms are available at the library or fill out the form and send your membership or donation amount to:
Friends of the Lake City Library, 110 E. Washington St., Lake City, IA 51449
For more information, contact the library at 712-464-3413